What is NFT Metadata?
NFT metadata describes the actual datasets that contextualizes an individual Non-Fungible Token (NFT). Broadly, there are two categories - on and off chain. On-chain metadata (such as acontract address, or token ID) refers to the data about an NFT actually stored on a blockchain. Usually the on-chain metadata will also include one or many pointers to the off-chain metadata. Off-chain metadata usually is comprised of larger and more complex data (such as media associated with the NFT, or longer sets of attributes / traits) that would be more expensive to store off chain.
SimpleHash provides a unified schema for including both on and off chain metadata within all responses. The significance of NFT metadata lies in how it enables developers to integrate, display, and interact with NFTs within their applications. The media properties, such as images or videos, enhance user experiences by allowing visual representation of the NFT. Descriptive data, including the name and description, offers a narrative or context to the token. Royalty details ensure that creators are appropriately compensated for their work during secondary sales.
What kinds of NFT Metadata does SimpleHash provide?
- On-chain Identifiers.
- The distinct on-chain identifiers for NFTs, adapting to different chains and contract addresses.
- Media Previews.
- Convenient links to resized previews of NFT media, including images, videos, and 3D models, enhancing user experience.
- Ownership Records.
- Detailed ownership history, including top owners and acquisition dates, providing transparency in NFT transactions.
- Sale & Creation Data.
- Significant events like the NFT's minting, last sale, and initial creation, offering transactional insights.
- Contract & Collection Info.
- Contract type specifics and associated collection data, across multiple marketplaces.
- Royalty Configurations.
- Royalty details from different marketplaces, furthering insight into creator earnings.
- Extra Metadata.
- Any additional custom fields for NFTs, including non-standardized off-chain attributes and original media links.
What makes NFT Metadata on SimpleHash different?
- Unified Schema.
- SimpleHash provides a unified schema for all NFT metadata, no matter the chain or standard.
- Automatic Refreshes.
- Reveals, drops and dynamic NFT metadata updates are handled properly, with new content being automatically reflected.
- Attribute Standardization.
- The SimpleHash indexer properly formats attributes and traits into key value pairs, making it easier to work with.
- We pull in all relevant metadata details, and serve it up on all core NFT responses, to minimize the number of API calls needed.
Frequently asked questions
“SimpleHash helps us deliver great NFT experiences. We’ve partnered with them because we trust their ability to stay at the forefront of NFT standards and use cases.”